Monday, August 13, 2007

My Weekend, the Browns, and the Indians

We had some nasty weather come through NE Ohio last week. In fact, a Tornado touched down in Lodi. Lodi is not horribly far from my house, but it is much closer to my in-laws house. My in-laws happen to be in Florida as we speak, so my wife and I spend Friday and Saturday cleaning up their farm. The weather took off a top of a tree, broke a bunch of branches, including one that was bout 5" in diameter and sent it flying about 15 -20 feet. This clean-up also allowed me to step on a Bee's nest, which they did not like. They let me know by stinging me multiple times. Not good times...

I went to the Browns' first preseason game against the KC Chiefs on Saturday with my Dad. I didn't ride up in the the "Ugly Dawg" (our 1969 Dodge Camper painted up in Browns Colors), because of my cleanup efforts.

The game was pretty lack-luster. Charlie Frye did not look good, but he was the best quarterback on the field. That isn't good for the Browns or the Chiefs. I did see that Charlie was more comfortable in the pocket, probably because he had time. He didn't finish every play on his back. He still made some dumb ass decisions though (his first pass that the LB for KC dropped, and trying to scramble into the end-zone with less than 10 seconds in the half).

The best part of the game had nothing to do with on-the-field activities. About midway through the 2nd quarter all of a sudden there was this loud standing ovation coming from behind me. It made no sense, we were on a TV timeout or something, nothing was happening on the field. I turned around and about 30 guys in the back rows were standing up and applauding. I looked down the aisle and coming up the stairs was a very VERY fine looking young lady that was either gifted by God, or bought her gifts from her friendly neighborhood plastic surgeon. She was sitting in row 44, which is second to last. It was a long walk for her. It was a wonderful moment... then she also had to go down the steps after the game, another fine site to see.

In all, the game was OK. I had a good time and I was entertained. I saw some potential on Offense as they get the new offense down and understand the ins and outs of its execution. Joe Thomas did pretty well. He had a couple holds, which I blame on the number since it was Dieken's old number. Eric Wright had a couple nice plays and didn't look out of place. The defense overall looked pretty good, but we have to cover the guys in the flats much better. I look for Brady to get in against Detroit, but he won't be pushing for a starting job until after the bye week.

As for the Indians, I don't have much to say after a weekend sweep by the Yankees. All I can say is, get your head out of your asses and lets get going. You are gonig to have to win the AL Central to get in, so lets get to it.

There is so much else going on right now, but I'm just out of time...

1 comment:

DP said...

You can only imagine the words that came out of my mouth when Frye tried to run for it at the end of the half. Not many of them were nice.

My personal favorite thing was Chris Barclay celebrating on the sideline like he'd just won the freaking Super Bowl. How about you make the team first before you act like a kickoff TD against KC's third string is a big deal?

And, for the record, on at least one of the holds, Thomas pretty much tackled the guy. Lars told me that was actually a "pancake" and that the refs were wrong. Who am I to argue?